Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Well, might as well start at the beginning....

"My name is Lillimir, but everyone calls me Lilli. I'm fourteen years old." I look out at the group of people surrounding me. I begin once again "I am from Karcin." interest begins to creep into some of the faces. "They like color, running, laughing, crying, talking, painting, drawing. I am the one exception." I look down at my simple black outfit. The people in the room are all wearing colors as bright as anywhere else. "I like running, climbing, swimming," this draws out a scandalized gasp. I continue, ignoring the over reactor "dancing, hunting, and singing."
"Very nice Lillimir." says the overseer.
"Lilli." I correct her quickly.
"Lilli. I apologize."
"It is nothing." I speak in older civility.
She smiles. "Lilli, you may take your seat."
"You have not assigned me one, ma'am."
"Of course, how silly of me. You may have the seat by Aaron." she gestures towards the back.
One boy raises his hand, reluctantly.
"Thank you ma'am." I go stand beside the table. "Do you mind if I sit here?"
"Not at all." his voice is saying he does mind. He really doesn't want me here.
"I can ask for another seat if you want me to."
"No. I'm okay. Thank you."
I sit quietly beside him. He's lying. I know it. But I will ignore it. I don't want to start with a boy I don't know hating me. The overseer begins talking about something to do with science. I pull out a notebook and start idly doodling on the corners of the pages. Spiderwebs and hearts cover the corners within minutes. I stare into space quietly humming some spacey, sad tune.
"Uh... Lilli, you want to hang out a bit? I can show you around?" the boy standing beside the table poses this as a question. Aaron has disappeared.
"Ummm.... sure. What's your name?" I look around, realizing that class is over.
"My name is Jace. Well, Jason. But they call me Jace." well, he's a little awkward, isn't he?
"Okay. I'm Lilli. Pleased to meet you."
"I'm originally from the mist planets. Where are you from?"
"Ummmm....."
"Hey, Jace!" the voice from behind me is sweet and soft but definitely masculine. I turn to see a tall, brown-eyed, black-haired boy.
"Hey Sebastian. Meet Lilli."
"Charmed, I'm sure. Jace, we were gonna play a game of flight. You in?" he barely glances at me.
"Umm... I was gonna hang with Lilli, show her around. Besides, you know I'm not that good at it. I'll just watch."
I cut in quickly "I don't mind. I'll play with you guys. Flight is my favorite game that doesn't require hand to hand combat."
Both boys look a little weirded out. They obviously expect me to be like every other girl. Scared to run around and get dirty. Well, I'll show them.
"Okay... we're out in the woods. " Sebastian looks like he's trying to wrap his head around the idea of girls actually doing something.
"I still plan to just watch." Jace looks put out by the idea of girl playing.
"I'll be there."


No comments:

Post a Comment